In a fit of megalomania, I strongly recommend to you my personal
ten commandments, an 87 year successful formula for living the good
life. [And boy, have I done just that.]
1. Laugh at least once every hour (preferably every ten minutes if
2. Eat and drink very well. When possible, be a gourmet: at other
times, a gourmand.
3. Read at least a book a week (or equivalent magazine or newspaper
4. Make love at least once a week (if possible). [Oh, where are the
snows of yesteryear?]
5. Express your opinions vociferously.
6. Make sure those opinions are based on at least a modicum of
knowledge and a plethora of logic.
7. Don’t try to force others to live your way (except your spouse and
children, who won’t listen anyway). In other words, mind your own
8. Work hard, but avoid physical exercise.
9. Travel extensively, so as to broaden your outlook.
10. Rarely (if ever) vote Republican.
By sticking to these rules, the Curmudgeon has led a
life which, 100 years ago, a king would have envied.
# # # # # # # # # #